Thursday, November 25, 2010

Deep in the heart of Texas

I survived staying up for 42 hours straight!  It’s a long story that starts with waking up for school at 6am Tuesday, followed by working until midnight, then on the road at 3am to catch an early flight Wednesday, and ends with hanging out with my folks in Texas.  Perhaps my mental faculties were not at their best and I probably didn’t look so hot, but after seeing the look on my parents faces, I would do it all over again.

Yesterday I got to took cook in the kitchen with my mom; it’s one of my favorite things.   You know how I love to feed people, right?  Well, I got that from her.  She’s always cooking for somebody, having people over for dinner, or delivering food to somewhere.  This Thanksgiving the two of us are sharing the cooking and baking.  Actually I get to do most of the baking; she’s only making one pie.  I made a pumpkin cheesecake, two sweet potato pies and pumpkin cupcakes for the kiddos.   It means a lot to me and I am very thankful to be in Texas cooking with my mom to feed our family and friends.

Speaking of Texas, say what you will about the place, you cant’ ignore the fact that there is impeccable driving visibility thanks to the wide, flat roads and a lack of trees.  Occasionally a field of cows or cotton will get in the way but cows are fun to look at least.  I must also mention that strangers here greet one another with a proper smile and a nod (as opposed to Connecticut where people avoid eye contact and hardly anyone says “Howdy-do,”  I’ve been trying to fix that but for some reason people seem resistant to it).   Oh, and let’s not forget BBQ (enough said). “Oh brave new world that has such people in it.”   

Eat, drink and be merry, folks!

2 comments:

  1. So happy reading this post. My best to your family and enjoy every last minute of it... especially the bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know you said the pumpkin cupcakes were for the kiddos, but i couldn't stop eating them. there were so delicious. seriously.

    also, you always look hot.

    ReplyDelete