Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sooo Over PC

I had two plans for my flight yesterday: a) sleep or b) watch the NBC pilot of Smash - again.  But none of this happened.  What happened instead was technological humiliation. 

Let me set the scene:  Me: 28 hours without sleep sandwiched between two strangers.  Stranger #1 was, at first glance, a young kid clutching a sub sandwich while shaking with excitement.  I later discover he’s an adult male wearing clothes two sizes too big and has Tourette’s (I’m being serious).  Stranger #2 was a tall, trendy, perfume-y but, thankfully, not chatty female.  Every time I would start to dose off, stranger #1 would twitch and knock my knee or elbow (not trying to be mean).  I should also add that Stranger #1 was playing some war game on his Macbook at this time. Meanwhile Stranger #2 was listening to something on her iPhone, while playing gems on her iPad, which was sitting on top of the latest Steve Jobs book (walking advertisement, right?). 

So there I was sandwiched between two appleheads when I decide to pull out my – wait for it – Sony VAIO.  If I can’t sleep then at least I can watch the free download of Smash again.  Instead I’m faced with a black screen with archaic white letters informing me that Windows needed to be restarted.  So, I press the appropriate keys.  Then I get another black screen (same annoying lettering) stating that my C drive is something or other, blah, blah.  I press a button to escape but nothing happens.  I’m already feeling a little embarrassed because by now both appleheads are looking over my shoulder and frowning as if they’ve never seen such a thing.  I spend five minutes pushing buttons with no success.  I finally give up and stow the laptop back under the seat like the PC loser that I am.  This would never have happened to Steve Jobs (RIP).    

I’m so over PC.

1 comment: